Float switches are essential devices in any water storage system. They help to regulate the level of water in a tank, ensuring that it is always at the correct level. Not only are they essential for tank stability, but they also play a role in conserving water.
When it comes to choosing the best quality float switch for water tanks, there are a few factors to consider. In this article, I’ll discuss the different types that are available on the market.
Top Float Switches for Water Tank
What is a Float Switch?
A float switch is a type of electrical switch that is used in water tanks and other systems to control the flow of water into or out of the tank.
When the level in the tank falls below a certain threshold, the switch closes, stopping flow into or out of the tank.
Open-loop systems use a floating object (float) that rises and falls with changes in water levels; when it detects an increase above a predetermined level, it triggers the closure of the valve which stops input/output to/from the tank.
Closed-loop systems use a movable part that sits on an adjustable level and closes when the water falls below the setpoint.
Best Float Switches for Water Tank Reviews:
1. Sludge Boss Septic Float Switch, Heavy-Duty Sewage Pump Switch for Viscous Liquids and Suspended...
- The Sludgeboss float switch is rated to directly control motors of up to ½ Horsepower (or 13 Amps) at 120 or 220 Volts AC for non-continuous pump operations, and up to 13 Amps for 12V DC motor loads. MANAGE WASTEWATER LEVELS with Sludge Boss Septic Tank Floats. These float switches work with your sewage pump to detect the levels of viscous liquids and suspended solids in tanks and containers.
- RUGGEDLY CONSTRUCTED of non-corrosive polypropylene and PVC-jacketed wires, IP68-rated Sludge Boss Sewage Pump Switch Floats withstand non-combustible fluids in temperatures from 32°F to 140°F.
- SELF-ORIENTING DESIGN makes installation hassle-free with no tether or cable weight needed. Available in 16-, 20-, 33- and 100-foot lengths, Sludge Boss is compatible with many sewage pump systems.
- HONEYWELL MICRO SWITCH built into Sludge Boss Sewer Pump Tank Floats is rated for 100,000 operations. Confidently control effluent and wastewater levels in large water tanks, reservoirs, and sumps.
- MERCURY-FREE and IEC and CE rated Sludge Boss Hold Tank Float Switches are non-toxic and environmentally friendly. They are suitable for use with septic tank pumps up to 1/2 HP at 120 volts or 220 volts.
2. Little Giant RFSN-9 115-Volt, Maximum 13-Amp - 1/2 HP, Pump Down Piggyback Tethered Float Switch for...
- APPLICATIONS: water resistant pump down tethered float switch for sump, sewage, effluent systems, ponds or utility pumps; allows pumps to start/stop automatically; adjustable
- LIMITATIONS: 0.5 HP, 13 Amp maxumim pump run current; 85 Amp maximum pump start current; use only with pumps equipped with integral thermal overload protection
- CORD LENGTH: 15-foot cord with piggyback plug; pumping range 7 inches to 36 inches
- TEMPERATURE RATING: maximum liquid temperature 140 degrees F
- LISTINGS: UR, CSA listed in the USA; Made in USA
3. PumpSpy Sump Pump Tethered Float Switch, Universal Float Switch Replacement with Piggyback Plug for...
- HIGH-PERFORMANCE FLOAT SWITCH: Designed for maximum dependability, PumpSpy's Tether Float Switch is made of gold-plated electrical connections that are resistant to accelerated pitting and wear. It detects changes in the water level and activates its automatic on/off function.
- WIDE APPLICATION: This portable tool is a versatile float switch used with sump, sewage, or effluent pumps. It is intended for installation on the sump pump discharge pipe and helps provide a dependable and practical solution for automating your pump system.
- UNIVERSAL REPLACEMENT: Have a replacement float switch ready when you need it the most! This universal replacement float switch will automatically activate your water pump. The float switch has a modular design and a 10-foot cord providing plenty of flexibility, while the piggyback plug helps to create a universal connection.
- EASY INSTALLATION: Our Tether Float Switch for a sump pump comes with everything you need for a quick installation. It includes a hose clamp and a cable grip for easy adjustment. This switch is simple to install by attaching the hose clamp to the pump's discharge line. Once connected to the discharge line, the pump's power cord plugs into the piggyback plug, which is then connected to any 120V outlet.
- PUMPSPY PROMISE: PumpSpy products are proudly assembled in Kalamazoo, Michigan. We employ patented, proprietary technology to help with your sump pump 24 hours a day, seven days a week. We are committed to consistently enhancing our goods, delivering quality and dependability, and providing our customers with peace of mind.
4. Float Switch for Sump Pump - 10-Foot Water Level Sensor with Honeywell Microswitch and Adjustable...
- CONTROL WATER FLOW into and out of tanks and valves with a sump pump float switch by Water Boss. This float level switch helps reduce overflow potential of light to medium amounts of suspended solids.
- HONEYWELL MICRO SWITCH ensures a high-precision sump pump switch with accurate repeatability and extended life. This water sensing switch is rated up to 13 amps or 1/2 HP and has CE and IEC approvals.
- NON-CORROSIVE CASING of the Water Boss Float for water tanks and bilge pumps is IP68 rated. Rugged polypropylene construction also makes this water level switch temperature-resistant from 32°F to 140°F.
- ADJUSTABLE TETHER of its 10-foot PVC jacketed cable makes our automatic bilge switch suitable for an array of applications. Eliminate complex automation with this sump pump replacement float switch.
- 5-YEAR WARRANTY against manufacturer defects lets you select the Water Boss Sump Pump Float Switch Replacement with confidence. This reliable float switch yields big savings in flood repair costs.
5. Superior Pump 92060 Sump Alarm System with 15-Foot Tethered Float Switch
- Monitors liquid levels in sump and sewage basins, holding tanks and other water applications
- Non-corrosive NEMA enclosure, rated for indoor use
- 9 Volt battery backup, battery not included
- 87 Decibel alarm horn with low battery chirp
- Comes complete with alarm, 15 foot float switch and mounting clip
6. TEMCo Float Switch for Sump Pump & Water Level NO/NC Control Function 13ft Cord 5 Year Warranty...
- Dual Function (Fill or Empty) Operation. See Circuit Diagram in Gallery.
- 13 FT cord with adjustable counterweight accommodates most applications.
- 16 Amp max, 120/220 VAC rated. Works on most 1/2 HP or smaller pumps. Usable for potable water.
- Features a reliable high quality German-made Cherry brand switch. IP68 rating. Polypropylene plastic casing, neoprene rubber cord.
- 5 year Guarantee against any manufacturing defects. 1 year no-questions-asked return policy.
7. "WaterBoss" Universal Piggyback Float Switch, (5 Year Warranty), 10 ft Cable, Septic System, Sump...
- 3 Meters (10 feet) of cable, Cable Ties, and Piggyback Connector
- Direct Connection of Sump Pump - Pumps to Empty
- Rated up to 13 Amps or 1/2 HP
- 5 Year Warranty
- Temperature ratings from 32F to 140F, and rated to IP68, with CE & IEC approvals
8. Baomain 4M Cable Float Switch Water Level Controller for Tank Pump
- Product Name: Float Switch Water Level Controller; Model: UK-221
- Rated Current/Voltage: AC 10(8A) 250V~10(4A) 380V;
- Working Temperature: 0°C~60°C; Control Range: 0.2m; Electrical Endurance: 50,000 times Contacts: NO+NC
- Cable Length : 4m / 13.1ft; Body Size: 10 x 8 x 4.5cm / 3.9" x 3.1" x 1.8"(L*W*T)
- Net Weight : 742g; Package Content : 1 x Float Switch Water Level Controller
9. BRODY Automatic Float Switch Water Tank Level Sensor on/off control with 10' Cable Sump Pump
- Float Switch Water Level Control Sensor with 10' Cable
10. Nxtop 10M Cable Float Switch Water Level Controller for Sump Pump, Water Tank
- Float Switch Water Level Controller with 10 Meters (32 feet) cable; Rated Current/Voltage: AC 10(8A) 250V~10(4A) 380V; Recommended Voltage: DC 24V
- If you need to extend the wire, be very careful to seal tight the wire splice if it’s gonna be underwater.
- Working Temperature: 0°C~60°C; Control Range: 0.2m; Electrical Endurance: 50,000 times Contacts: NO+NC
- The float switch can be used for an in-let flow of water and out-let flow of water from the tank to controlled the level of water, it works in both ways.
- As the liquid level reaches upper or lower switching value, the controller contact will send out signals.
Best Float Switch for Water Tank Buying Guide
When it comes to purchasing a float switch for a water tank, there are a few things that you should consider.
Type Of Float Switch
There are two main types of float switches, closed-loop, and open-loop systems.
Closed-loop systems use an inflatable bladder to determine when the water level has fallen below a certain threshold; this triggers the switch closure, stopping the flow of water into or out of the tank.
Open-loop systems use a float that rises and falls with the water level; when the switch detection device senses that the water has risen above a certain point, it triggers the switch closure, stopping flow into or out of the tank.
When choosing a float switch for your water tank, you will need to consider how you want to install it. Some switches can be mounted on an existing wall mount or ceiling box; others require installation on new ground anchor points (piping ).
Another important consideration when purchasing a float switch for your water tank is the control options that are available.
Some switches allow you to toggle between on and off modes, while others provide adjustable flow rates or time-delay settings.
Water Level Monitoring
One final factor to consider when purchasing a float switch for your water tank is whether or not you need water level monitoring functionality.
Many switches come with built-in sensors that detect the water levels in the tank and provide real-time information to the control unit.
When choosing a float switch for your water tank, you should consider the type of system it is used in, installation requirements, control options, and water level monitoring capabilities.
Why is a Float Switch Important for Water Tank
A float switch is essential for closed-loop systems that use an adjustable level to control input/output.
Without a switch, the only way to stop input or output would be to physically shut off the valve at the tank. This can be difficult and time-consuming, especially if the valve is located on an inaccessible part of the tank.
A float switch also improves efficiency by preventing backflow from entering when there’s no water flowing into or out of the tank.
So, What’s the Best Float Switch for Water Tank?
I have discussed all the features of a great float switch that you can use to improve the safety of your water tank. You don’t need expensive or complicated devices to achieve this. The one with low pressure and leakage-free performance will do just fine for your home.
Float switches are the most common means of triggering an alarm when water levels in a tank drop below a certain level. They come in various configurations, with pressure ranges and leakage ratings, so you can find one that is ideal for your needs.
When selecting a float switch, be sure to consider factors such as the type of tank it will be used with (above or below ground), the weight of objects that could fall into or onto the tank while it is empty (heavy items require more gravity to pull them down), and the level of water pressure in your home.
Like any other structure, your home garage may experience structural problems. Whether you have a detached or attached garage, you may experience structural issues such as sinking, flooding, and...
When gravity begins to behave strangely in your garage, you notice that its floor is no longer flat. This may happen due to various reasons. However, there are several options for fixing uneven...